These Zucchini Brownies are Vegan and Paleo!
If you've been to the farmer's market recently you've likely noticed an abundance of zucchini squash right about now (among so many other tastythings - yay for summer's bounty!). Or maybe you've got your own garden and have so many zucchini ready to eat all at once you don't know what to do with them all! Sure, you can spiralize them, grill them, bake them or toss them into a stir fry. But you could also bake brownies. Yup, we said brownies.
Adding zucchini to brownies is genius for two main reasons. #1, you end up eating vegetables without even realizing it and #2, they're brilliant for making brownies (and other baked goodies!) extra rich, moist, and perfectly cake-like. Yep, the humble zucchini can do that! Who would have guessed?! Veggies truly are amazing.
Aside from having hidden veggies in them (don't tell your kids!), this recipe is also vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo-friendly (no grains!). It's also loaded with antioxidants thanks to our Peruvian raw cacao powder and Rawmio raw chocolate Essentials bars - the perfect sub-in for your average, not-so-healthy, sugar-laden chocolate chips.
Rawmio Vegan Paleo Zucchini Brownies
Makes 1, 9 X 6" pan
3/4 cup finely shredded zucchini (IMPORTANT: remove excess moisture by placing shredded zucchini in strainer and pressing out the juice or use a clean towel.)
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup Dastony coconut butter, gently melted (you want it nice and runny!)
1/4 cup Dastony raw almond butter
1/2 cup RawGuru raw cacao powder
1/2 cup RawGuru coconut sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 flax eggs *see steps for instructions
2, 70% or 85% Rawmio raw chocolate Essential bars, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking tray 9 inches x 6 inches with parchment paper.
1. Make your flax eggs. Combine 2 tablespoons ground golden flax + 6 tablespoons water, whisk together, let set and get goopy for 15 mins. Set aside.
2. Prep your grated zucchini - use a hand grater or a food processor. Make sure you remove excess moisture or your brownies will end up too soft and fragile. Once squeezed, place in a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix wet ingredients first. In the bowl with zucchini, add almond and coconut butters, flax eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut sugar. Stir the ingredients thoroughly.
4. Add dry ingredients. Stir in the almond flour, cacao powder, baking soda, and salt thoroughly until there are no clumps left. Then add in chopped Essentials chocolate bars. Optional: save a small handful to sprinkle on top before placing pan in oven. The batter should be thick and difficult to stir - this is what you want.
5. Transfer the batter into your lined baking pan.
6. Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until the top and sides are set crackle and a fork can be inserted in the center and come out clean.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and cool down in the pan for 12-15 mins. Then remove brownies from pan by loosening the sides with a knife, then lifting them out on the parchment paper. Then cool for an additional 30 mins on a cooling rack.
Store in the fridge in an airtight glass container or zip bags. May also be frozen and unthawed prior to eating.
Leave a comment