This Scrumptious Spring Kale Salad Will Make You Crave Your Greens (No Lie!)
We've all heard it. We all know it deep down. Greens are good for us, like really good for us. And most of us could benefit from eating more leafy goodness on the regular. After all, greens are one of nature's most beneficial and accessible superfoods - providing a wealth of minerals like calcium, magnesium, and iron, vitamins such as Vitamin K, Vitamin C, B vitamins, and Vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), not to mention loads of fiber and a host of other phytonutrients that have a big impact on our health, helping to protect us from serious conditions like cancer and heart disease. They should be an absolute foundation of our diet.
While greens aren't something that typically top the list of "most crave-worthy foods", that all might change with this recipe right here. Yes, we all know that kale is so good for us it's basically a heaven sent cure-all (okay, maybe not that good for us...), but making it actually taste good can take a little effort. And practice. And trial and error. By its nature, raw kale is rather tough to chew, and it is also slightly bitter. Not a winning combination on its own. But when paired with a few key ingredients, and properly flavor balanced with elements of acid, fat, salt, and sweet, kale salad can become the tastiest and most flavorful dish on your dinner table. Not only that, it might be so good you actually start to crave it.
This recipe balances kale's stronger attributes with a delicious, refreshing dressing made with balsamic vinegar, cold pressed olive oil, stone ground raw tahini, maple syrup, coconut aminos, fresh lemon zest and juice, and cracked black pepper. Dried cranberries and apples add a pop of sweet, and a deliciously chewy texture. Roasted butternut squash is also a welcome addition - use it while it's still in season! Deliciously buttery and sweet in flavor, it makes this salad more well rounded and filling. This is the perfect kale salad for spring!
Ready to give it a go? Let's get to it...
Spring Kale Salad with Maple Tahini Vinaigrette
Serves 4, makes about 1/3-1/2 cup dressing
1 bunch of curly Kale, torn or chopped
1 cup roasted butternut squash, diced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1/2 cup dried apples, chopped
2 handfuls dried cranberries
Maple Tahini Vinaigrette Dressing
1.5 Tbs Dastony Stone Ground Raw Tahini
Garnish: Sunbiotics Probiotic Pumpkin Seeds in Lemon Teriyaki or Cheesy Chipotle
1. Roast butternut squash by peeling and dicing, coating in coconut oil (or other heat-stable oil like avocado oil), and roasting on a baking dish at 425 for 45 minutes, or until done.
2. Whisk or blend together dressing ingredients.
3. Wash and de-stem kale. Chop or tear into bit sized pieces. Wash and chop celery. Chop dried apples into smaller bits.
4. Combine kale, celery, cranberries, dried apples, and butternut squash in a bowl. Pour on dressing and mix thoroughly. Salad tastes best after marinating for several hours.
5. Plate and garnish with Sunbiotics Probiotic Pumpkin Seeds, or your favorite seeds of choice, and a little lemon zest. Enjoy!
Will store well in the fridge. Tastes best if eaten within 2-3 days