Recipe Time! Herbed Home Fries with Chickpea Garlic Tahini Dipping Sauce
In this day and age, when schedules are busy, to-do lists seem never ending, and time is seriously of the essence, it's only natural to crave convenience in pretty much every area of our lives. Unfortunately when it comes to healthy eating, traditional "convenience" or "fast foods" are definitely not something we want to rely on as they're typically highly processed and loaded with refined salt, sugar, and unhealthy non-food additives no one would should be ingesting. But not always. Convenience food can be as simple as grabbing fresh fruit or veggies slices and some nut butter for dipping. It can also mean making really wholesome meals out of simple ingredients that come together quick. Like home fries!
This is the time of year for all things potato - so hearty and filling - and if you're still under the impression that "fries" are a total junk food, it's time to shed that old belief and see this popular comfort food in a brand new light. Made with unrefined coconut oil (a very heat-stable form of plant-based oil to cook with!), fresh herbs, and a delicious chickpea, tahini-based dipping sauce, this recipe is equal parts delicious, healthy, and fuss-free. Serve up your batch of home fries and dipping sauce with a big green salad and enjoy!
Ingredients: Herbed Home Fries
3 medium/large russet potatoes
3 tsp herb seasoning (herb de provence, Italian mix, vegetable grilling seasoning, or a blend of your choice)
1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1.5 Tbs cold pressed unrefined coconut oil
1.5 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
Ingredients: Chickpea Garlic Tahini Dipping Sauce
1/3 cup Stone Ground Sesame Tahini
1/4 cup soaked cashews
1/2 cup chickpeas
1 clove fresh minced garlic
2.5 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 Tbs chopped fresh chives
2 tsp nama shoyu or Braggs Liquid Aminos
2 tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup pure water
Instructions for Home Fries
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Wash your potatoes and slice them into wedges of equal (or as close to it as possible) width/size.
3. Melt 1.5 Tbs of coconut oil gently and pour over your potato wedges and onto your baking sheet for a non-stick surface.
4. Cover your potato wedges in herbs, salt, and seasonings
5. Bake for 43 minutes at 450 degrees F. For the last 2 minutes turn your oven onto broil to get the outside extra crispy (this is optional). It is also helpful to pull the potatoes out of the oven about half way through and flip them for a more even texture (also optional).
Instructions for Dipping Sauce
1. Simply blend all ingredients except for fresh parsley and chives until smooth. Then add in your herbs and blend again briefly for the best flavor.