Gluten Free Vegan Apple Crisp
Be warned, this apple crisp goes fast and will leave you wishing you'd made more. Don't shy away from doubling the recipe!
This recipe is plant-based, gluten-free, low sugar and it comes together quickly. Serve with a scoop of your favorite plant-based vanilla ice cream for a cozy dessert or as an alternative enjoy for breakfast with some coconut yogurt. It's such a cozy treat full of the flavors of fall.
½ cup whole rolled oats
½ cup blanched almond flour
¼ cup coconut sugar
¼ cup crushed walnuts or pecans
1 tablespoon cold-pressed coconut oil, melted
½ teaspoon apple pie spice, or cinnamon
¼ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Spiced apple filling
4 apples, peeled and cut into thin slices (we recommend a crisp sweet-tart apple like pink lady or honeyscrisp)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
Pinch of sea salt
Steps for crumble topping:
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until crumbly. The consistency should stick together when pressed between your fingers just slightly - see our reel for a demo. 👀 You can add a few tsp of water if needed.
Set your filling aside
Steps for spiced apples:
1. Peel and core apples, then slice into thin slices.
2. Place sliced apples in a pot with the remaining ingredients and bring to a low simmer. Cook 8-10 minutes until tender. Don't overcook the apples otherwise they’ll be too mushy.
3. Drain the apples and place them in a 8 x 8 glass baking dish that’s been lightly greased with some coconut oil.
4. Scoop your crumble topping over the apples.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 mins. The topping should be starting to brown, but be mindful not to burn.
Serve with plant based vanilla ice cream and an extra drizzle of crunch spread on top. 👌