Fluffy Almond and Cassava Flour Blueberry Pancakes (Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
While the promise of spring is near, it's still cold af out there, meaning cozy mornings and hearty breakfasts are an absolute must. And nothing says a cozy breakfast done right quite like a stack of pancakes dripping with yummy nut butter and warm maple syrup. Hungry yet? We thought so.
These paleo pancakes are soft, bouncy, and cake-like, and they manage to do it with absolutely zero gluten or dairy.
How did we pull off such a miraculous feat? You can thank a blend of blanched almond flour and cassava flour. If you like cooking and/or eating sans gluten and don't yet have these two grainless flours in your pantry, you need to run to your local health food store (or Amazon.com...not so local, but def convenient...) and grab a few bags of each. Blanched almond flour is definitely a little miracle worker. It lightens up the texture while also being rich and nutty. No one likes gummy, overly dense pancakes that settle like a brick in the belly. Cassava flour, on the flip side, is technically a root vegetable (yucca root!) and has a decent amount of natural starch, which helps increase fluffiness and chewiness. Also a must for that perfect stack. The combination is ideal enough to fool most people into thinking they're eating pancakes made with actual wheat flour.
Top your stack with real maple syrup, berries, nuts and seeds, paleo granola, or do what we did and mix a little of our amazing Stone Ground Coconut Butter with pink pitaya powder (or other pigmented superfood powder) for a nutrient-rich breakfast fit for a unicorn.
Fluffy Almond and Cassava Flour Blueberry Pancakes
Make 4 medium pancakes
1 cup almond flour
1 cup cassava flour (we love Anthony's Goods)
1 Tbs coconut sugar
1/2 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1 pasture raised egg *see note for vegan sub
1 cup unsweetened nut milk + splash extra if needed
1.5 tbs melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
Add while cooking
1/2 cup blueberries
Unicorn Coconut Butter Drizzle
1/2 tsp pitaya powder - or use your favorite pigmented superfood powder such as acai, maqui berry, freeze-dried berry powder, spirulina, blue majik, or matcha
*to make vegan you can sub in a chia "egg" - 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds (use white chia if you want a lighter colored pancake!) + 2.5 tablespoon lukewarm water, mixed and allowed to thicken/gel. You will need to add a splash more nut milk to the recipe if using chia egg.
1. Combine cassava flour, almond flour, chia seeds, baking powder, coconut sugar, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk until fully mixed.
1. Beat egg in a separate bowl (or make chia egg!)
2. To the egg add vanilla, melted coconut oil, and nut milk and whisk to combine.
3. Mix wet ingredients into dry.
4. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat with a tsp of coconut oil
5. Once oil starts to bubble, turn heat down to medium and use a large spoon to place a dollop of batter into the pan, carefully spreading the batter out to make an even circle – between 3-4” in diameter.
6. Cook pancakes for a couple of minutes on each side. The edges will start to brown and there will be bubbles that appear in the middle. Flip when the underside is brown but not burnt. These cook quickly so be on standby and watch carefully!
Serve warm with your favorite toppings and enjoy a happy belly!