Nothing says "Autumn is here" quite like the smell of homebaked muffins wafting from the kitchen. There's something so soulnurturing about baking on the weekends, especially if you can get the kids involved. These muffins are absolutely perfect: fluffy and cakelike yet 100% glutenfree, vegan, and processed sugar free. They get most of their sweetness from ripe bananas, with only a splash of maple used. These are healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast, and they're even toddler approved (we tested!). The use of stone ground whole coconut butter gives them a cakelike richness, and infuses the recipe with plenty of healthy fats. These will be a hit time and time again!
Gluten Free Banana Cake Breakfast Muffins
Makes 9 medium sized muffins
1 cup blanched almond flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup organic potato starch
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 tsp chia seeds
3 small or 2 large very spotty ripe bananas *see note
1/8 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup melted Dastony whole coconut butter
1 tbs vanilla extract
1/4 cup water
Cinnamon to garnish
Optional 2 handfuls fresh blueberries or crushed walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your muffin tin with muffin liners.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
3. Mix wet ingredients together: mashed banana, maple syrup, melted coconut butter, and vanilla extract.
4. Mix wet and dry ingredients together, stirring in your 1/4 cup water (add a splash more if batter is still too dry the ripeness of your bananas will play a big role here).
5. Spoon your batter into muffin liners sprinkle with cinnamon.
6. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Check for readiness by sticking a fork into a muffin-fork should come out with just a few crumbs on it. The muffins will continue to cook/set for a few minutes after being removed from the oven.
*Make sure your bananas are nice and ripe with brown spots their starch has been converted into natural sugars. If you're using bananas without spots bump up you maple syrup to 1/4 cup for additional sweetness.