8 Reasons To Love Raw Almonds + What's the Deal with Pasteurization?
From our stone ground nut butters to our raw chocolate treats, we use a lot of yummy almonds here at the WCO factory. In honor of National Almond Day Tuesday 2/16, we're sharing 8 reasons to love yourself some almonds - plus a little added bonus about how we source almonds that are actually, really, truly raw.
8 Reasons To Love Almonds
1. While many nuts are acidifying to the body, almonds are one of the few nuts with a more alkaline pH. Much of our modern, westernized diet is acidifying (processed foods, animal products, sugar, etc) which can lead to disease, so the more fresh, alkaline plant foods we can consume the better.
2. Truly raw almonds (such as the ones we use in our manufacturing at WCO) are easy to soak and germinate, a process which de-activates a compound known as phytic acid, enhancing digestion.
3. While peanut allergies run rampant in society, less people experience allergies related to almonds. This may have to do with the fact that almonds tend to have less of an issue with mold and fungal contamination.
4. Almonds help build strong bones! Just a handful per day provides a good boost of magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, and biotin for healthy bones and teeth.
6. A great low-sugar choice for diabetics! Almonds contain very little (naturally occuring) sugar, and help balance bloods sugar levels with plenty of plant based protein, healthy fats, and fiber.
BONUS: So What's the Deal with Pasteurization?
One of our most requently asked questions is related to our almonds and the USDA pasteurization law. The answer is: we import high quality, organic, truly raw and unpasteurized almonds from Europe!