Tomato Cucumber Sandwich on Onion and Corn Bread with Olive and Kale Tapenade
Difficulty 5 minutes Serves
Need something a little heartier to chomp on this winter? Why not make a batch of raw bread in your dehydrator (or on low in the oven) for raw sandwich crafting? This recipe by Emily Von Euw of This Rawsome Vegan Life
is just perfect.
Moist and chewy raw onion corn bread spread with a garlicy kale and olive tapenade filled with slices of fresh cucumber and tomato. Does that not sound absolutely tasty? Choose whichever fillings you fancy! Fresh basil would be amazing, sprouts, avocado, bell pepper, you get the idea.... Give it a try!
Ingredients ONION & CORN BREAD 1 cup flax seeds 1 cup sunflower seeds 1 cup corn 1 chopped onion 2 chopped tomatoes Salt, pepper and cumin, to taste OLIVE & KALE TAPENADE 1 bunch kale 1/3 cup olives 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil Pink Himalayan salt, as desired 1 peel garlic clove (optional) TOMATO & CUCUMBER 1/2 cucumber 2 tomatoes Salt, pepper and cumin
Directions ONION & CORN BREAD
1) Grind the flax and sunflower seeds into flour in a high speed blender. Put this flour in a food processor.
2) Add the other ingredients to the food processor. Pulse until the mixture becomes kinda like chunky paste. You may have to mix it up with a spatula a few times.
3) Spread onto dehydrator trays and dehydrate for about 2 hours, then slice into squares and flip over.
4) Dehydrate for another 2 hours until the slices are pliable. Note: if you don't have a dehydrator, use your oven at it's lowest temperature.
OLIVE & KALE TAPENADE
1) Soak the olives in the olive oil over night.
2) Throw all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until it reaches the consistency of pesto or tapenade.
TOMATO & CUCUMBER
1) Slice the tomatoes and cucumber and coat lightly in olive oil and spices, set in the dehydrator (or oven at its lowest temperature) until it softens and its skin begins to wrinkle.
1) Spread the tapenade onto your bread, followed by your veg slices. Chomp!