Summertime Coconut Berry Dessert
Difficulty 5 minutes Serves 2-4
Heather Pace describes her refreshingly light yet richly flavorful summertime dessert! "My recipe combines a crumbly hemp and oat crust with a thick (nearly sliceable) coconut filling, topped with a berry puree instead of fresh berries. It's light on the nuts (only 1/4 cup in the whole recipe), low in sugar, and will hopefully leave you feeling refreshed as we did eating it." In the ingredient list you will find agar which is a seaweed derived thickening agent which will enable you to acheive that thick, dense consitency without having to relay on nuts or coconut oil.
Ingredients Hemp Oat Crumble Crust:
1/2 cup oats*, ground in a food processor
1/4 cup almonds, ground
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup pitted dates
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons water
1/2 cup water
Full 1 3/4 teaspoon agar powder
1 can coconut milk
Seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2-3 drops stevia
1/2 tablespoon melted coconut oil
About 2 cups of assorted berries
Chia Seed (a tbs or so)
Squirt of lemon juice
2-3 drops stevia
Directions Hemp Oat Crumble Crust:
1) Process the oat flour, almond flour, coconut, dates, and vanilla in a food processor until broken down into crumbs.
2) Add the hemp seeds and water. Process again briefly to incorporate.
3) Press the mixture into the bottom of 4-6 ramekins (depending on the size of them and thickness of crust). Set aside.
*Regular, gluten free, or raw oat groats
Coconut Filling (fun with agar!):
1) Bring the water barely to a boil in a small saucepan.
2) Sprinkle the agar over top and whisk it in thoroughly.
3) Turn the heat to medium, making sure its a low boil and keep whisking until the agar dissolves (4-6 minutes).
4) Add the coconut milk, vanilla bean, and maple to the blender. Add the agar mixture. Blend until completely smooth. Add stevia, to taste.
5) Add the coconut oil and blend again.
6) Pour the mixture over the crusts.
Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or until set.
1) Blend the berries ON LOW in a blender, to keep some texture. Add some chia, lemon, and stevia.
2) Blend on LOW a bit longer.
3) Transfer to a bowl. The mixture will thicken up a little within 30 minutes.
Spoon over the chilled coconut filling.