Raw Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Difficulty 5 minutes Serves 4-6
We were super excited to find a totally RAW pumpkin pie by our favorite dessert queen Heather Pace of Sweetly Raw. Heather says this pie will get better with age like a fine wine! Let it chill in your fridge for 3-4 days for best flavor and consistency. You can even make it a week ahead of time and it will be perfect for a Thanksgiving or Holiday feast. Make sure to use pie pumpkin for this recipe as these will deliver the sweetest result. Top with coconut lucuma cashews and a sprinkle of shredded coconut.
I always keep some of this cheesecake crust on hand so I can easily throw together a dessert, so this recipe probably has more crust that you need for the filling. Store the rest in the fridge or freezer.
1 1/2 cups almonds
2/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla or water (I often need 2)
2 cups diced pie pumpkin (about 1" cubes)
3/4 cup pitted dates
5 tablespoons almond milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1) Grind the almonds into a flour in a food processor.
2) Add the raisins and continue grinding until broken down.
3) Add the coconut and vanilla. Grind again to incorporate.
4) Add another 1/2 - 1 teaspoon water if needed to keep the mixture held together when pressed in your hand.
5) Press into the bottom of a pie plate or mini tart pans (I used 4" ones).
1) In a high speed blender, combine the pumpkin, almond milk, spices, and vanilla. Blend to liquid.
2) Add the dates and blend again until smooth (use the tamper).
3) Add the coconut oil last, once the mixture is warm. Blend to incorporate.
4) Spread the filling into crust. Chill for at least 6 hours (longer is better for flavors to mix).