Holiday Sweet Potato Pie by Elaine Love
Difficulty 5 minutes Serves 2, 9 inch pies
This is a completely sugar-free pie using only liquid stevia and all natural sugar alcohols lakanto, erythritol or xylitol. While the names sound a bit scary, these sugar alcohols are not to be confused with artificial sweeteners. They are actually made through a fermentation process of natural sugars such as those found in birch tree. This is a great dessert option for those looking to keep it low glycemic this Holiday season!
Ingredients Sweet Potato Pie Filling
1 cup Irish moss paste (1-2 ratio soaked moss to water)
2 1/2 cups chopped sweet potato (1 medium)
3/4 cup chopped carrot (1 med)
1 1/4 cup chopped zucchini with skin (1 medium)
6 drops vanilla essence (medicine flower)
1/4 tsp. vanilla bean powder
15 drops liquid clear stevia
1 Tbs. Pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
1/2 tsp. allspice
2/3 cup coconut oil
2 cups water
1 cup Lakanto or Erythritol or Xylitol
3/4 tsp Himalayan salt
optional for richer flavor: 1/3 cup shredded cacao butter
optional for creamier texture: 1 Tbs. lecithin powder (non GMO)
1 cup dried, shredded coconut (find in bulk bins), ground into a powder
2 cups unsoaked, de-hulled sunflower seeds, ground into a powder
1/2 cup ground dry chia seeds
1/2 cup carob, mesquite or cacao powder
10 drops almond essence (medicine flower)
1/2 cup shaved or shredded cacao butter (do not melt)
1/4 tsp. himalayan salt
2/3 cup Irish Moss Paste
1/2 cup Lakanto, Xylitol or Erythritol
Sky High Whipped Topping
1/4 cup soaked Irish moss (measure after soaking in cold water for 3+ hours)
2 3/4's cup water
Directions Sweet Potato Pie Filling
1) Combine the blended Irish Moss paste with the remainder of ingredients into an 8 cup blender and blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Make sure the coconut oil and cacao butter get smooth and well incorporated (no little bits). You can also substitute the cacao butter for extra coconut oil.
2) Pour into the pie crusts and let set up for 1-2 hours refrigerated.
3) Top with Sky High Whipped Topping
1) Make the Irish Moss paste by blending until smooth 1 cup of soaked Irish Moss with 2 cups of water then measure out required amount.
2) Puree all ingredients in a food processor until mixed well.
3) Press into two 9 inch pie plates starting in the center and pressing up the sides.
Sky High Whipped Topping
1) Blend moss and 1 Cup water until smooth
2) Blend all remaining ingredients in a blender until smooth.
3) Let set up overnight in the refrigerator overnight if
4) Drop or pipe onto pies and puddings wtth a piping bag as desired.